Doctors are waiting to hear whether a High Court judge will allow them to stop providing life-support treatment to an 11-month-old boy.

Isaiah Haastrup was born at King’s College Hospital in London on 18 February, 2017 with a severe brain injury which is thought to have been caused by a deprivation of oxygen.

The sick baby, who is being cared for in a paediatric intensive care unit, is “ventilator-dependent”, the court has been told.

Lanre Haastrup, the father of Isaiah Haastrup, arriving at the Royal Court of Justice, London, for a hearing to decide whether doctors should stop providing life-support treatment for the 10-month-old boy. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Picture date: Monday January 15, 2018. Specialists at King's College Hospital say giving further intensive care treatment to Isaiah is ''futile, burdensome and not in his best interests''. See PA story COURTS Isaiah. Photo credit should read: Yui Mok/PA Wire

Image: Lanre Haastrup, Isaiah’s father, outside the High Court during a previous hearing

Specialists at the London hospital say giving further intensive care treatment to Isaiah is “futile, burdensome and not in his best interests”.

But the child’s mother, Takesha Thomas, and father Lanre Haastrup, want doctors to continue the treatment.

Barrister Fiona Paterson, who has represented King’s College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust during court proceedings, told Mr Justice MacDonald that doctors do not think there are any “further investigations or forms of treatment” which would benefit Isaiah.

The judge is expected to analyse detailed evidence of the case in the Family Division of the court on Monday.

The court battle echoes the tragic story of baby Charlie Gard.

Charlie has a rare genetic condition

Image: Charlie Gard had a rare genetic condition

His fight against mitochondrial depletion syndrome, an inherited disease so rare that Charlie was only the 16th person in the world to be diagnosed with it, generated headlines around the world, as his parents fought a lengthy legal battle to have him treated in the US with an experimental therapy.

More from UK

However, they ended their legal battle with Great Ormond Street Hospital after attempts to take him to the US were blocked by doctors and judges.

Charlie died in a hospice on 28 July last year, a week before his first birthday, after having his life support withdrawn.